From:
Peter Bergstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:07:29 -0500
Netti and company:

Two points to note here:

1) You may be having trouble finding the Hillier document because it is not
a Colonial WIlliamsburg Research Report -- this is Susan Hillier's 1970 MA
thesis from the COllege of WIlliam and Mary: "Shipping Between England and
Virgina: 1606-1630"

2) Ms Egloff's reference to Brown, _Genisis_ 1:402-403 is in fact Brown's
transcription of the manuscript John Kneebone is describing from the VCRP.
I might also note that as wonderful as Brown's work was for it's time, his
mastery of 17th century English handwriting wasn't too good, and as a result
his transcriptions aren't always the most accurate.  Years ago I acquired my
own copy of Brown and I use it often, but I wouldn't quote the documents
found there until I had double checked them against the original, or at
least a more modern transcription.

Oh yes, one more note:  If you spend any time poking around in Kingsbury's
_Records of the VIrginia Company_, you'll find lots of reerences to ships --
even the early ones you are saeeking -- but few if any passanger lists.  A
bummer to be sure, but the reality of the evidence I'm afraid.

I hope all of this helps locate some evidence that might help you in your
seqrches.

Best regards to all,

Peter V. Bergstrom