From:
John Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:20:39 -0000
Some of what someone wrote:
:> When you submit a call slip, it could take days
: > for the item to arrive.  The staff are generally swamped and cannot
offer
: > personal attention.

At the time of ordering a book the online catalogue shows whether or not the
book is housed on site. If it is, the target is around 40 minutes - at busy
times it can be more, to which you have to add queueing to retrieve the
order, at non-busy times it can be much quicker. Some offsite repositories
can deliver the next day (though not first thing as far as I can remember)
but Boston Spa, in Yorkshire, takes longer. I find the reference staff very
helpful. The situation in the new library is infinitely better than in the
revered old library. It's joy to work in, except that the magnificent seats
are non-adjustable, which I commented on at a readers' forum a coupleof
years before opening, but of course they had been designed, made and
delivered by then.

John Weiss
A devoted BL user before and after the move