From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:49:14 -0500
It is not clear to me that the "alternative theory" fits the evidence.  When I
teach the slave narratives, I mention that a school of thought exists that
suggests the bad conditions described in anti-slavery slave narratives were
rare.  I say this is a contested area, and I state that as far as I can see the
facts demonstrate otherwise.  So I do mention these notions, but I also think
it responsible to cast doubt on them.

I'd like to suggest one other matter that might have influenced WPA
interviewees, a factor we haven't addressed.  Their view of the slavery years
may well have been influenced by the terrible experiences many
African-Americans were exposed to during Reconstruction and on up to the 1930s.
 The abolition of slavery did not clear away racism and oppression, after all.
There was no Klan before Emancipation, after all.  And so forth.