From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:13:27 -0400
"Moderate" is being used in two senses:

1. As a noun, the avoidance of excess or extremes, not virulent or
attacking--> in reference to the /tone /of posts to one another (not
necessarily content...we have a right to our opinions)

2. As a verb, to /make /the posts less violent, severe in /tone/--> in
reference to how this can be accomplished and by whom

No one is suggesting a limit on free speech, but I am flagging the idea
that perhaps we could all /agree voluntarily /to moderate the /tone /of
our posts, adopting a spirit of inquiry rather than one of hostility and
reactivity. Ideally, it should be our goal to openly invite others into
conversation rather than alienate them.

--
Catherine Moore
Assisting Producer of Research