Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:27:35 -0500
Phebe,

I've been told not to put anything -- flour, shaving cream, etc. -- on a
tombstone, as it may add to the deterioration.  Also, I've heard that you
never, never take a tombstone rubbing, because that, too, may cause damage.
Take a photo of the stone, and view the photo in black and white -- that
oftem brings out the subtleties of the writing on the stone.

The advice on clothes, etc., has been right on the money.  I would add that
you should never wear hairspray (does anyone wear it anymore), perfume, or
any scented product, because it draws gnats and other pests.

Just my two cents!

Jean Spradlin-Miller
Birmingham, AL