From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 10:21:20 -0700
I would hesitate to use that broad a brush and state that none had any
degree of Indian blood. I wonder what DNA test would show? I am sure that
some of these people had Native ancestry.  During the period you are
referring to racial identification was made by eyeballing people. If you
looked Indian, white, or African that is who you were. My brother took a
paternal line DNA, and it came back that our paternal lines are Columbian
(from Columbia South America) Indian. Yet, to look at my father, and
grandfather, you would probably say they were negro.  Now mind you, my
grandfather was born in South Carolina, the son of ex-slaves. So there were
Indians who were enslaved along with blacks. This is what needs to be
mentioned while we are discussing this topic.

Anita