From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:09 EDT
Jon and Everyone...

Thank you for posting that item.  For some time I've been intending to ask
what the phrase "complete armor" comprises from the 1623/4 census/muster.  Among
the few people in that census who are identified as having "complete armor"
is one Thomas Baugh, who I feel may have been the father of John Baugh, Burgess
1640s, who I believe was most likely the father of William Baugh, d. 1687 in
Henrico Co. (despite most Baugh histories saying Wm was the immigrant).  The
loss of Henrico Co. records will not allow me to explore that possibility much
further here in VA, though maybe there's something in the Brock Collection at
the Huntington Library in California, the Bolling-Batte papers at LVA, and
undoubtedly research in England would be enlightening.

What various items comprised "complete armor".  Thomas' only other check mark
on the armor columns was for shot.  Would it include a sword, mail, a plate
such as was referred to in the new article, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter