From:
"Crawford, Greg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:32:50 +0000
For anyone interested in learning more about the Kelley brothers as well as their slaves, go to LVA's Chancery Records Index site - http://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/

and search for the following Lancaster County Chancery suit:

1857-011: Adms. of William Kelley vs. James W. Kelley, etc. and Exrs. of James Kelley vs James W. Kelley, etc.:

The plaintiffs in this consolidated suit wanted the court's assistance to divide the vast real and personal property of the deceased brothers James and William Kelley. Both were also partners in a mercantile business located in Kilmarnock. They left a vast inheritance to the Protestant Episcopal Theological Seminary and Protestant Episcopal High School near Alexandria, Virginia and to the Protestant Episcopal Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society. The brothers owned slaves both separately and jointly who worked on their plantations, Richland and Lynums. In the brothers' wills, both emancipated all their slaves and left them an inheritance that would fund their transportation to Liberia. Two of the slaves, Jerry and Armistead, chose to be re-enslaved rather than move to Liberia.

Images of the suit are available for viewing. Go to image #44 where one of the defendants in the suit makes reference to emancipated slaves who chose to be re-enslaved.

Greg Crawford

Local Records Program Manager

Library of Virginia

800 East Broad Street

Richmond, VA 23219-8000

Phone: 804-692-3505

Email: [log in to unmask]

Library of Virginia

Virginia Memory

 Out of the Box | Notes from the Archives at The Library of Virginia

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence – Vince Lombardi