From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:48:41 -0500
However, one must not forget that GW didnot free his slaves until he no
longer had a use for them himself (ie: after his death). That is, he still
enjoyed the perks that slave ownership gave him while he was alive. And then
poor Martha feared for her life after his death because he stipulated that
none of his slaves would be freed until the death of his wife. Egads, was he
insane? What was he thinking when he did that? I'm sure he had faithful
servants who would have never done harm to their mistress. However, there
may have been others who might have thought about doing her in so they could
gain freedom. Living in slavery in the 1700's was no picnic, I'm sure of
that, and some would have done almost anything for their freedom. I wouldn't
blame them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Martha freed GW's slaves
shortly after his death. She did not wait until her own death. Did she do
this because she thought slavery was wrong or because she feared for her own
safety? And what kind of economic hardship did GW's wishes put upon her by
stipulating the emancipation of his slaves?

Lonny Watro