From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:08:49 -0500
Kevin and All,

    Kevin, well said!  To paraphrase Edmund S. Morgan, isn't the United
States of America, colonial Virginia writ large?  Virginia, the mother
colony of what was to become the United States, experimented with white
servitude to run its plantations until a political crisis arose in the
1670s.  The transition to black enslavement, a labor regime which already
existed in South Carolina and New York/New England on a small scale, rapidly
grew to a behemoth on the Chesapeake.  By 1790 50% of all American slaves
lived in the Chesapeake and the black population of the new United States
was at least 20%.  A pattern of race/class relations had been put in place
that has not been fully transcended even now.
    In Nepal, the high caste Hindus tend to look like Indians from the
contiguous region, usually very brown in complexion.  Meanwhile, the lower
caste people who work for them, at one time as slaves, tend to look a bit
more east Asian and have much lighter skins.  I cannot this moment remember
the name of the ethnicity but that group, the lighter skinned people, were
the heart of the Maoist insurgency that ripped the social fabric of Nepal
for the last ten years.
    My point, obviously, is that the thoroughly contingent nature of
dominance and subalternity, of mastership and slavehood, should be obvious
to all.  A philosopher from a university in Nigeria explained to me once the
difference between the American race system and the Indian caste system.  He
said that in America white people saw a phenotypical difference in human
beings and gave it a mythic meaning, whereas in India the phenotypical
difference itself was imagined and then given a mythic meaning.
(Dravidian Brahmans from the south of Indian are ten times darker than
Chamars [sweepers = untouchables] from Kashmir.)
    Race, slavery, oppression, discrimination are all contingent.  In
Europe, it was Jews and Romany (Gypsies):  people who generally look to me
to be Caucasian, who were hated and finally in the 1940s murdered in one of
the worst genocides in world history.
    We need to develop what Miguel de Unamuno called "the tragic sense of
life."  Race hatred, slavery, domination are a part of our legacy as
Americans, and I speak as a black American.  This is my country and I love
it fiercely but I will not falsify its history.
    Ronald Reagan running for president in either 1976 or 1980, said that he
could remember a nation that didn't have racism.  The San Francisco comic
Mort Saul commented, "Jesus, the man must be 400 years old."
    I do not require an apology.  I do suggest that acknowledging that a
group of people labored for 250 years with no wages in one of the most
powerful developing capitalist economies in the history of the world seems
like a pretty good idea.

Harold S. Forsythe