From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:01:26 -0600
and what was at the root of the South's "loss of power and the threat of economic
stagnation combine with
the growth of Western and Northern states political power caused the South to
feel they losing control"?  Slavery.  Why would the South care about a loss of
power except that it feared that the US might threaten slavery?

For southern whites it is more comfortable and pleasant to think that the South
went to war over economics or "states' rights" or some theory of politics, but
take slavery out of the mix and none of these arguments are even plausible.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law