From:
Ian Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:31:32 +1100
Mr Browning has raised a world-wide issue. I am fortunate that the National Library of Australia facilitates the transfer of mfm to digital records. A day's solid work, using a flashstick, allows me to download enough material to keep me busy for many weeks. The initial capital cost is obviously higher, requiring a computer to be added to the mfm reader but as a research aid it is worth years of time and above all, eliminates the cost of transferring from the mfm reader to a printer, with all the capital and consumer costs. And it never runs out of paper. The financial saving to researchers in enormous.

It is the best midway point between total digitization, which is obviously the best current technology and traditional mfm reading and copying.

In the longer term, and there are good examples galore digitizing eliminates ILL as the digitized material is easily transferred to disk. This has proved a good source of income for libraries servicing family historians. I have a disk of all the people who settled in Victoria from settlement to 1900, including my father and his entire family (in Australia).

Ian