From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:44:59 -0400
There is certainly enough ambiguity about the record of this case to be
disturbing, and I agree with those who believe the William and Mary
group has allowed wishful thinking to get considerably ahead of the
evidence.

However, though sodomy was surely illegal under any circumstances, it
may be worth remembering that the cultural/legal understanding of age
and consent relative to heterosexual intercourse has changed radically
since the Jamestown period.  If memory serves, the age of consent for
girls was far younger than 19 in both England and Virginia in the
seventeenth century.

And throughout the U.S., at least, it rose steadily during the course
of the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries, to the point that the
marriages of many of our ancestors--involving, for example, a female in
her mid-teens and a male in his early twenties or older--would now be
not only illegal but criminally actionable.

--Jurretta Heckscher