Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 06:38:25 -0800
I've had major billing problems with New Oxford, [Oxford Press] to the point that I thought a fraudulent company had been set up.  I got billed again this morning, after cancelling this subscription I didn't know I had. The cost is $30 per month. I've had to file a complaint with the NC Attorney General.

  The National Archives is the best site.  Searching is free and you can download documents instantly for a reasonable price, and great quality.  All of Britain's county archives have a common search. Why pay for Ancestry's spotty records, when the Archives and British Library are on-line?

  These are free:

  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline

  The Brirish Library:
  http://www.bl.uk/index.shtml

  This site is good for beginning research, learning about locations and types of records:
  http://www.genuki.org.uk/index.html

  Scotland’s records can e accessed at:
  http://www.scan.org.uk/index.html

  Langdon Hagen-Long

John Frederick Fausz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Another INVALUABLE online resource--with a fee, however--is the
NEW OXFORD DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY (British Bios).

It offers very detailed and almost always reliable biographies of the
leading Jamestown / Virginia Company "folks"--plus Powhatan,
Pocahontas, and Opechancanough--written by scholars and based
on the most recent research. <one, however, because the British author is clueless and confusing
about Early Chesapeake Indian Place Names.

HTTP://WWW.OXFORDDNB.COM/

Most entries are only 4-5 years old and replace bios dating back to the
late 19th century--or deal with people, especially Americans and Indians,
who were little appreciated in that bygone era.

55,000 bios up to the late 20th on people of all fields--and a bargain online
unless you don't mind spending something like $16,000 for the 88 volume
hardbound set!!

* * * And don't overlook our own state treasure--the terrific new
DICTIONARY OF VIRGINIA BIOGRAPHY from the Library of Virginia

Best to All from the Frozen Midlands (Far Western Virginia)

Fred Fausz
St. Louis