From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:43:31 -0400
On Jun 21, 2007, at 6:49 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I am not aware of any tragic victims of violence on Christmas Day or
> the  4th
> of July?
>
> When and where?

Anti-Catholic holiday decorations provoked a day-long street battle in
Butte, Montana, on the Fourth of July, 1894, in which at least two
people died.  The Jews of Warsaw were the "tragic victims of violence"
in the Christmas Pogrom of 1881.  A number of Americans -- and, surely,
some Virginians -- of Jewish ancestry are in the United States today
because their forebears fled the Russian Empire in the wake of the
bloody Easter Pogrom at Kishinev in 1903.  This massacre followed the
precedent set by the Holy Week Pogrom in Odessa in 1871.

Another Easter Pogrom took place against the Jewish community in Prague
in 1389.  Then there was the violent Easter Rebellion in Ireland in
1916.  In fact, Europeans of yore had a certain knack for doing lethal
violence to other Europeans on holy days ("holidays").  The St.
Bartholomew's Day Massacre of 1572, a Christian-on-Christian atrocity,
is perhaps the most notorious, or at least the most historically
significant, example.

I await Mr. South's insinuations concerning the barbaric nature of
white people.

Might I suggest instead that henceforth we refrain from posting and
responding to questions and comments whose purpose, if it is not a
species of race-baiting, is entirely obscure?

-- Jurretta Heckscher

Remember New Orleans!