From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:38:54 +0000
EXPLORE RELIC

December 2017 - The Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC)

Start your historical journey here. RELIC's email newsletter highlights upcoming free events and happenings. Genealogy and local Virginia history is our specialty as a service provided by the Prince William Public Library. We're located at Bull Run Regional Library and you can always find more about us at www.pwcgov.org/library/relic<http://www.pwcgov.org/library/relic>

GENEALOGY 101: GETTING STARTED
Discovering your family's history is both fun and rewarding. Genealogy Librarian Tish Como will demonstrate the essential first steps to take, and resources to use - most of which are available for free through the library - to ensure that your research is accurate, complete and well-documented.
Thursday, December 14, 2017, 11:00 a.m.

=========================

RELIC INSIDER:

USING RELIC'S FAMILY FILES

Since the 1970s, RELIC has been collecting information on Northern Virginia families, particularly those with a presence in Prince William County.   RELIC's Family Files now have grown to six lateral file drawers.  Their file folders, arranged alphabetically by surname, contain a wide variety of papers.  Most of them include correspondence we have responded to over the years.  They may also contain news clippings, pedigree charts, family histories, Bible records, obituaries, biographical sketches, court house documents, and family letters - anything "ephemeral" that doesn't lend itself to being formally cataloged.

The Genealogical Exchange File (GEF) is the key to quickly determining whether we have a file on a certain surname.   This card index identifies people who are looking for particular ancestors from Prince William.  If there is a blue index card in the GEF, it means we have a file folder on that family.    A form on our website at http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-genealogical-exchange-form.aspx allows you to submit information on your family for the GEF. To determine which other researchers are interested in your family, please contact the RELIC staff.

Most of our cataloged family histories can be found on the shelf at RELIC 929.2, arranged alphabetically by surname.  You can find them listed in our Library's general catalog, http://librarycatalog.pwcgov.org , which may be searched by keyword, author, title, or family surname (subject).  Some of the catalog entries have been enhanced with surnames besides the primary family, including the identity of the earliest ancestor.

=============

NEXT MONTH

FAMILY TREE MAKER 2017: AN OVERVIEW
Genealogist Cheryl Day has used Family Tree Maker (FTM) software since 2002; she served as beta tester for the newest version of Family Tree Maker Genealogy Software (released by MacKiev). Join her for an overview of the main features of FTM 2017 including syncing technology built together with Ancestry, plus integration with FamilySearch, color coding, a photo repair tool and much more.
Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:00 p.m.

GENEALOGY 201: BEYOND THE BASICS
Genealogy Librarian Tish Como will discuss effective research strategies and demonstrate advanced techniques for successfully searching and evaluating free online genealogy / history resources. See how information found in census, newspapers, passenger lists, maps, books and manuscripts can add detail and interest to your family history.
Thursday, January 11, 2018, 11:00 a.m.

To read the latest lists of new materials available please click on What's New in RELIC http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-news.aspx

Unless otherwise stated, all of the preceding programs will take place at Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, Virginia.  Programs may last from 60 to 90 minutes.  You may register for any of these free programs at 703-792-4540 or mail to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

You may also register online at RELIC Programs http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/library/pages/relic-programs.aspx
by clicking on the program date.  Funding for selected RELIC programs is provided by the Friends of Bull Run Library.*  To be notified of upcoming library programs and activities, you may sign up for the PWPLS newsletter.