From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:18:01 -0400
But what you're saying doesn't change the nature of slavery or mitigate its
fundamental evil--being under the control of another's will. Yes, the
treatment of slaves in minor matters might differ greatly between masters
but the basic matter--personal freedom and dignity--did not. Slavery,
moreover, was a system that depended upon laws and upon community control,
on slave patrols. It rested upon a shared sense of white supremacy that
united slaveholders and non-slaveholders.

Your assumption that slavery was something seen as evil only in retrospect
certainly doesn't apply to any time after the founding of the United
States. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been such an elaborate, at times
hysterical, attempt to justify and protect it. Slavery was attacked as a
violation of religious teachings and of the fundamental natural rights
proclaimed in the American founding documents. The defenders of slavery
more and more in the decades before the Civil War turned to "scientific
racism" to justify slavery and the denial of citizenship rights to Free
Blacks.

And, of course, the owners of slaves were dealing with human beings, not
animals (though the slavery sought to reduce slaves to that status).

Jim Hershman

--
None