From:
"Donald W. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:08:30 -0500
I'm not familiar with how church services were conducted in the
1600s. But I do know that county court order books are full of fines
and penalties levied against people for not attending service,
swearing in public, etc. One must keep in mind that there was no
separation of church and state then as we know it today. The county
courts enforced religious laws and the parish vestries took on some
of the functions of local civil government. I don't think many of us
today would appreciate being hauled into court to answer for our
religious practices or lack thereof.

Donald W. Moore, CG(sm)
Antecedents(r) LLC
http://www.antecedents.com

Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
http://www.apgen.org

Certified Genealogist and CG are service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists(r) and used here under license.

Antecedents is a registered service mark of Antecedents LLC.