Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:36:05 -0400
Civil War:
- No knowledge of any Virginia troops there.
- But a general question.  Did Sherman take the city the same way Cornwallis
did by cutting it off from the rest of the mainland.  i.e NOT by sea.

Randy Cabell

Hi Randy,
My local history is rusty BUT to the best of my knowledge, the Virginia
Peninsula which stretches from Williamsburg east to Hampton and Newport News
and includes York County (where I live),
fell very early in the War Between the States, to the Federal forces which
were already in place at Fortress Monroe in Hampton.
From Hampton on to Williamsburg and then Richmond is where the series of
battles began that eventually included Seven Pines and Malvern Hill.
Then there was the famous Battle of the Ironclads which was between the
Monitor and the Virginia (Merrimack) that took place in the Hampton Roads
I think that there was some occasional skirmishes off and on during the War
but, again, the Peninsula was firmly in Yankee hands by 1862.
Deane Ferguson Mills
York County VA
(From A Tidewater Virginia Family since 1618)