From:
Ian Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:51:46 +0000
Thanks Craig, I know it well. The theological issues are less focused upon than the politics and personalities within the church and the articles are, as is so often the case, bereft of any substantial statistical evidence. I have been chasing up the episcopal establishment processes with great interest. We are fortunate in Australia that the issues of overseas Anglican dioceses (outside of England that is) while linked to North America in terms of the role of the Bishops of London, was resolved by the debate over an American Anglican episcopate although now, in the way of canon lawyers, the status of many bishops in the US of the umpteen neoAnglican groupings is a thing of wonder.

One of the mysteries of Episcopalian thought, to a foreign Anglican, is how the idea developed that TEC has any claim to be the 'national' church in America (vide 'national cathedral' in Washington) and from that, the only legitimate voice of the Anglican tradition in North America and now, it seems, in much of the Americas and elsewhere. It is all the more surprising given the relatively tiny numerical strength of the TEC - less than Anglicanism in Australia.

I have been astonished, frankly, to see some writing that suggests that the TEC is more legitimate historically than Rome itself. That absolutely bewilders me and seems to have some roots in the 'Light on the Hill' dimension that so affects American perceptions of the world.

All of the above has arisen from wide reading that started with Lydia Mary Fay. But I can close by saying that she had one hell of a romantic passion for a certain Alexandria clergyman who was her great hope and eventual disillusionment when it came to marriage. Hence off to China!

Ian

--

(Dr) Ian Welch, Australian National University, Canberra