From:
Michael B Chesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:38:37 EDT
My comment is not about this recent thread per se, but textbooks in
general, at all levels.  I've written extensively on textbooks, in print  and
online, and reviewed a number of college and high school history survey  texts.
They are, almost without exception, lousy, and much stronger words  that
this list does not allow.

At the college level many are "written" by some of the biggest names in the
 profession.  Who actually writes them is anybody's guess, because some of
the howlers I've found are not made by the authors named on the title pages
in  their own distinguished scholarship.  Textbooks are not scholarship,
not  even close, and few have scholarly citations, or real bibliographies.
It's  a racket, a very lucrative one, like professors of economics flitting
from  academia to high ranking positions in government, then off for a stint
on Wall  Street, and then back to academia.  It's all a charade, a scam.  Get
 real folks.  A problem with a 4th grade text.  I'm so surprised.

I truly pity anyone with children.  God save the Republic!

Best  regards,

Michael B. Chesson
Founding Professor and Dean
The  American College of History and Legal Studies
1 Stiles Road, Ste.  104
Salem, NH 03079
Phone: (603) 458-5145 x10
Email: [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
Web: _http://www.achls.org/_ (http://www.achls.org/)

"Charge,  Virginians, Charge!"
--Gen. Turner Ashby, CSA
June 6, 1862

In a message dated 10/20/2010 3:38:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,