From:
"Huffstutler, Eric S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:04:24 -0400
I can relate to the Ancestry hits thing Don.  And sometimes it is sorted
in a way that better relative hits are further down the list than the
top ones.

Genealogy.com is even worse with the sort thing on their side bar.  You
give it variables to seek and it totally ignores them!

I remember the days when all we had were ListServ (pre Rootsweb)
volunteer and host supplied databases, KindredKonnections, and the LDS
site and that was about it.  We have come a LONG way via Internet but
now seems to be reversing course and as one person indicated, Ancestry
is turning into a monopoly.

If they can afford to buy all of these databases and so many are
registering, why not offer "lower" fees and/or monthly payments (not
yearly charges) and get more subscribers who will also contribute more?
me, I can't afford them and as I indicated, the State Library has access
but their hours are 9-5 (I work 9-5) and Saturdays with them are
sporadic with various hosted events locking patrons out.  Very
inconvenient.