From:
Bill Trout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:29:08 -0400
Rudy Rucker's science-fiction novel, "The Hollow Earth" (HB Morrow 1990/PB
Avon 1992), has a great account of a slave escaping from Lynchburg in a
batteau down the James, based on a voyage the author made with the James
River Batteau Festival. In Richmond the story becomes somewhat more
speculative when the crew meets Edgar Allan Poe and proceeds to the center
of the earth! In recent years some very good novels have appeared about the
C&O Canal, but that's not in Virginia. I don't know of any other fiction
which brings Virginia's batteau or canal eras back to life - If you'd like
to try it, the batteau and canal people would be glad to help (see
www.batteau,org).