From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:46:57 -0500
It seems that every place that is heavily dependent on tourist
dollars has that love/ hate relationship. Goodness knows, they do on
the Outer Banks of NC [when I had a house down there, I preferred to
go off-season, even January was an improvement], and the Washington
Post is full of gripes about the tourists there, they can't figure
out the Metro system, they ride the wrong side of the escalators,
they string out across the sidewalks so no one can get by, etc. etc.
I did read of complaints, though, of New Yorkers not liking all the
visitors after 9/11, resenting them, and wanting to be left along to
grieve. But I am sure some of the visitors were so clueless and crass
as to be an annoyance to anyone. I love those stories about the
incredible things tour guides and locals hear from tourists who
evidently can't be bothered to pick up a book before they go off on
vacation. Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks
[to which a friend of mine jokingly replied... bike paths!].

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone