From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:12:46 -0500
Let's see. Back when, 1934 or so, your predecessors held the same kind of
"contest" and "Carry Me Back.." won and became the official state song. The
official "runner up" to "Carry Me Back." was "Old Virginia". Or so I'm told.
Times changed and it became necessary to retire "Carry Me Back.." and find a new
song.

Now I'll bet if the majority your predecessors were still around today they
would say: "Well, since the Miss America can no longer perform her duties then
the "runner up" should.

"Kinda" like settled law; but, oh, so very old fashioned thinking. Better to
reinvent the wheel.