From:
"Kimball, Gregg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 15:00:05 +0000
I concur with Brent.  Back in 2001 I responded to a VA-Hist thread about this issue:

Have you checked Janet Duitsman Cornelius's book "When I Can Read My Title Clear: Literacy, Slavery, and Religion in the Antebellum South"?  I believe that this book outlines the law in various states.  As I remember Cornelius's discussion of this matter, Virginia was one of four southern states that legally limited the instruction of slaves from the 1830s to

1865.  The state criminalized assemblies for teaching slaves and teaching slaves for pay.  The legislature seems to have left the door open for individual masters to educate their own slaves. I think it's also important to realize that in some cases community pressure and other laws could be used against schools.  Free black Christopher McPherson's night school in Richmond was quashed due to a public outcry that led to him being hauled into court for operating a public "nuisance."

Gregg Kimball