From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:25:25 -0500
At the risk of (continuing to) beat an old dead horse.  This lack of response is the fruit of a bungled overall program.  I could see it not coming about six months ago, and at that time I believe I called out specifically the contortions one had to go through to even find the site to buy tickets, much less get the things.

The policy of lodging-purveyors in around Williamsburg to require you to reserve rooms for 5-7 days afound THE May weekend is simply atrocious.  It is out-and-out price gouging.

However, ala those wonderful old GEICO ads, I do have some good news.  A handful of communities and institutions have stepped into the breach and actually have some pretty good programs underway.  I have been priviledged to take part in two in Winchester, and next month they have somebody coming up from the alphabet soup of Jamestown organizations (not the APVA but something else that even they could not remember) to talk on archealogical finds.  The Reston Chorale has commissioned a 45-minute oratorio for the celebration.  The Stonewall Brigade Band in Staunton will put on a Jamestown Concert in June, and bands in Charlottesville and Northern Virginia will feature Jamestown music this spring.  Interestingly enough, the 1st North Carolina Company of the Jamestowne Society has sent Jamestown music to nearly two dozen high-school and college bands around the country, including several in Virginia.  NORTH CAROLINA in Virginia?!?!?!?!?!?!

But I echo myself and I concur with SUNSHINE in pointing out that it is up to you and me to make Jamestown happen.   If you really believe in it, then commit today to do something.  Think Jamestowne.........

Randy Cabell - The Trumpeter of Jamestowne

Disclaimer.  This represents my own views, and not those of any sponsor.  Before the wrath of responders descends upon me, pointing out all the good things that are going on, note that this is a 'view from the trenches.'    A view from Joe Citizen in the trenches in a far corner of the Commonwealth reflecting upon what he sees not happening.