From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2018 14:10:56 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Please plan to join us on Wednesday, November 14, when Greg Urwin will present “'To Bring the American Army under Strict Discipline": British Army Foraging Policy in the South."  Greg is a well known professor at Philadelphia’s Temple University and an extensively published author.  https://liberalarts.temple.edu/academics/faculty/urwingregory-j-w  We meet at 5:30 for dinner in the Heilman Center, with the meeting commencing at 6:30.  Maps and directions are here.  https://www.richmond.edu/visit/maps/print/campus.pdf

Every two years, we elect board members.  Every two years, I think about retiring, but then realize that this is still plenty of fun for me.  So once again, I offer our current board, with a few changes, for your consideration.  Both Bill Seward and Charlotte Forrester have decided to retire.  On behalf of all of us, I thank them for their efforts and advice over the past years.  They have made great contributions to ARRT-R.  Be sure to thank them in person at the meeting.  Karen Chase and Noah Rogers have agreed to replace them.  Long time member Rob Monroe will conduct the election.  Below are the candidates for the board.  If you wish to self nominate, please let Rob know now or at the meeting.  He’s at [log in to unmask]  Thanks, Rob.

President – Bill Welsch
1st VP Programs – Bruce Venter
2nd VP Membership – Woody Childs
Paymaster – Art Ritter
Secretary / Historian – Noah Rogers
Web / Publicity – Mark Groth
At Large – Jerry Rudd
At Large – Karen Chase

I do wish to thanks all the board members for their contributions.  To paraphrase Art, we’re all better collectively than alone.  Thank you, friends.  And I also want to make another pitch to anyone who wishes to work with a specific board member as a possible future replacement.  Please just let us know.

Please check our site for the 2018 Harry M Ward Book Prize winner.  Congratulations to our selectee Larrie D. Ferreiro of the George Washington ARRT for his Brothers at Arms: American Independence and the Men of France and Spain Who Saved It.  This is a fine book.  We were fortunate to have Larrie as our July speaker.  And thank you to our book award committee, chaired by Mark Lender.

Be sure to mark our 2019 meeting dates on your new calendar.  They are now on our site, with meeting topics to follow soon.

The American Revolution Consortium for Civic Education’s 2018 Fall Symposium on November 17 – 18 is fast approaching.  Details are here.  http://www.arcce.org/event/fall-symposium/  As a reminder, these gentlemen have generously offered the same $100 registration rate to ARRT-Richmond members as WYARRT members.  Be sure to identify yourself as such.  Philadelphia and New Jersey!  How can you go wrong.

It’s also not too early to register for the Venters’ 8th Annual Conference of the American Revolution on March 22 – 24, 2019.  This fine program has sold out for the last few years.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2018/8th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-march-22-24-2019/

I’m happy to report that Karen Chase’s novel Carrying Independence will be published in mid 2019.  Now, you’ll be able to follow the full story that Karen teased us with in her fine September presentation.  Congratulations!  Here’s her site.  https://karenachase.com/chasing-histories/

 A few members sent the Goodwill newspaper story.  It’s here, plus in The Richmond Times Dispatch.  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/goodwill-rebel-newspaper-1774_us_5bd24e97e4b0a8f17ef5e7a1?ncid=APPLENEWS00001  Better check your recycle bin.

This article appeared with a Montpelier, VT dateline. https://www.whec.com/national/diary-aids-understanding-of-revolutionary-war-lake-battle/5104849/  The diary seems to have appeared, disappeared, and reappeared.  Here’s a recent Journal of the American Revolution article on the Wigglesworth Lost Diary.  Scroll down.  And at the top of the page is an interesting article by our pal Andy Zellers-Frederick about the malcontent Thomas Conway.  https://allthingsliberty.com/  The JAR can always be counted on for new and interesting stories.

The Times Dispatch surprised us with a lead editorial about – Nathanael Greene!  While the impetus for the article may have been a bit googly, it was still wonderful to see Greene get this well deserved recognition. https://www.richmond.com/opinion/our-opinion/editorial-this-unlikely-soldier-was-groomed-by-george-washington/article_2754b87e-4bc6-55c6-87d6-a77a9a22c5aa.html

This from Dave Riggs, an article from the Daily Press (Newport News) about the property that was acquired recently by the American Battlefield Trust for Yorktown Battlefield.  http://www.dailypress.com/features/history/dp-nws-yorktown-battlefield-20181008-story.html  ARRT-R is a member of the Battlefield Trust.

Dave also provided information about these lectures.

York Hall, 301 Main Street, Yorktown
Phillip Hamilton, professor of history at Christopher Newport University
Topic: "Life, Death, and Victory in Revolutionary Virginia: George Washington, Henry Knox, and the Yorktown Campaign"
Sunday, November 4 at 3:00 pm

Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg, the DeWitt Wallace Gallery, Williamsburg
The Leadership of George Washington –Thursday, November 8 at 5:30 p.m.
Professor Peter Henriques discusses the characteristics that made George Washington such a successful leader and America's "Atlas."  (1 hour) $5 program ticket required in addition to museum admission

And also from a busy Dave, Willard Buttrick's Powder Horn Comes Home.

In 1775 Massachusetts, growing tensions with the mother country, patriot and minuteman, Willard Buttrick, like most minute and militia men were required to carry several accouterments to be prepared to meet a threat, in this case, the threat from the British Army, for defense of rights and liberties. On the morning of April 19, 1775, Buttrick, along with the Concord Militia, who turned out to defend their homes, families and ideals of self determination, they held dear. Like numerous citizen/soldiers of Concord and Middlesex County, they encountered the British army and fought with them at Concord’s North Bridge and later on the road to Boston. The American Revolution had begun.

On Saturday, September 15th members of the Buttrick Family arrived at the park and signed over a powder horn, owned by Willard Buttrick and carried on that fateful day almost 250 years later. The powder horn returns to the location where it all began, North Bridge in Concord, just yards from the home he occupied. In front of the North Bridge Visitor Center, the former home of Stedman Buttrick, sits a foundation which was the home of Willard Buttrick.  Marshall Buttrick, spokesperson for the Buttrick family and the official keeper of the powder horn, had spent many years, proudly showing the powder horn off and keeping it’s story a part of Buttrick lore.   "I am pleased to donate to the National Park Service my ancestor Willard Buttrick's powder horn to be publicly displayed at the North Bridge Visitor Center. The powder horn was used at the North Bridge April 19th 1775. It is interesting to note that the remains of Willard Buttrick's house foundation are adjacent to the parking area at the Visitors Center. " said Marshall Buttrick.  When Mr. Buttrick and his siblings had to decide what the future of the powder horn would be, it was unanimous that the horn should be seen by the American public and the best way to do that would be to donate it to the park. Now, the personal story of the day will be displayed in the near future for all to understand and enjoy what the artifact can tell us about a patriot from almost 250 years ago
During the 1875 Centennial celebration, artifacts connected with the day’s events were put on display for guests to witness. Then President Ulysses S. Grant had the seen the powder horn, which was listed in a souvenir program issued for the occasion along with other witness artifacts to the days events.

Keep your powder dry and see you on November 14.

Bill

---
https://www.avg.com