From:
sheri huerta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 10:41:53 -0400
Eric,

Is there a chance that Wills served as a local [slave] patroller? I've
studied patrol records from 1800 to 1860 in northern Virginia and county
patrol appointments would designate a "Captain" and sometimes list a group
of men to serve under the patrol captain (listed as Privates). Patrollers
typically were assigned from men already listed in the local militia rolls.
If patrol appointments are not available in county records, check the
annual county levy for payments made to patrollers or court loose papers
for the actual patrol records listing time served and / or payments
received.

Depending on the time and place, a captain might be paid at a higher rate
per tour / hour than the privates and the difference in payments for the
same number of tours served can help differentiate the ranks. County court
minutes might also include the names of men ordered to serve as patrollers
for a specified term or persons authorized to form a patrol. If Wills was
in Richmond by 1800, he could have served in some patrol or militia
capacity during the Gabriel uprising, thus establishing his leadership or
militia service in the local area. If he served as a patroller and rose
through the ranks to the position of an appointed captain, this could also
help explain the local origins for his title of Captain.

Sheri Huerta, PhD