From:
Douglas Deal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:01:53 -0500
Though  raised as an Episcopalian, I have stayed away from churches and
organized religion for all of my adult life. The unhappiness over the
decrossing of Wren Chapel reminds me of the much more violent and
destructive "stripping of the altars" that marked the 16th-century
installation of the Church of England. Anglicanism took hold amidst the
looted, defaced ruins of the churches, chapels, abbeys, and monasteries
that had sustained a lively and vigorous Catholic faith in England. See
Eamon Duffy's book The Stripping of the Altars for details.

Doug Deal