From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:27:48 -0500
Amen again...

But I suppose we are southerners, we are all racist, we all owned
slaves, we were all terrorists, we were all guilty of treason. Funny,
the people back then, people who fought, people who were affected,
were happy to forgive and forget, heal the wounds, get on with life
and rebuilding the country. They knew that was important. So why are
people today so unable to continue that attitude? Oh, a bunch of
scholars who can quote this text and that document [that bolsters
their argument] and declare the resulting guilt of every southerner.
They, obviously, know so much more than those who were involved did.
Hey, what  about the original right of states to leave the union if
they so required? About the necessity of rebellion, if needed?
Jefferson was espousing treason? Sure seems like it. Back in those
days, the states, and loyalty to states, held far more power than we
could possibly imagine today. What have many here been preaching
about not applying today's standards to past events?

Oh, that's right, I guess the south is an exception to that 'rule',
as it is to so many rules. Bigotry is bigotry and bigotry is bad,
unless, of course, you are applying it to those terroristic,
treasonous southerners. Paint 'em all with the same brush, who cares?
Draw broad categories and shove 'em all in there. They're just some
lesser species of Americans anyway.

Nancy
-------
Our eyes report to our minds what our minds have told them to see.

--Anon.

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone