From:
Heritage Society <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:24:51 -0500
Although some localities had passed ordinances for segregated housing
earlier, the General Assembly empowered the cities and towns of the State
to pass ordinances providing for separation of the races within the limits
of residential areas (Acts 1912, page 330). This statute was upheld by the
Virginia Supreme Court in Hopkins v. Richmond in 1915, which considered
ordinances adopted by Richmond and Ashland. As Mr. Hershman points out,
because of the 1917 decision in Buchanan v. Warley in the U.S. Supreme
Court involving a similar ordinance in Louisville, KY, as violative of the
14th Amendment, the Va Supreme Court held the Virginia statute null and
void in the 1918 case of Irvine v. City of Clifton Forge.

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society
703-691-0770
fax 703-691-0978
fax 703-691-0978

neighborhood in the City of Charlottesville.  In my research, we have
discovered a 1912 Charlottesville ordinance that directed neighborhood
segregation.  This was not an ordinance directing segregation in a planned
development where separation of races was part of the covenant but a
specific City ordinance prohibiting the two races to live side by side
anywhere in the City.  The ordinance passed by the Council was vetoed by
the Mayor and his veto was subsequently over-ridden.  I would like to know
if anyone is aware of similar ordinances or official City laws that
mandated segregation in other Virginia cities in this time period.  I know
that there was de-facto segregation, but during the first decade of the
20th century there were always a number of mixed neighborhoods (certainly
in Richmond's Jackson Ward).