From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:27:01 -0400
Bill, and all:

I am not familiar with the chart that Bill Obrochta describes below, but for an amazing account of how difficult it was to get registered to vote in the 1940s in Northern Virginia, take a look at Outside the Magic Circle: The Autobiography of Virginia Foster Durr (Univ. of Alabama Press, 1985). Durr, who had to be a registered voter to lobby on behalf of the Parents-Teachers Association there, describes tracking down the reluctant registrar at his country home, forcing him to find his misplaced registration book, and making ink out of ashes and water to sign her name when he professed to have neither pen nor ink.

John