From:
Larry Peacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:56:57 +0000
As a new member of the group I would just like to point out that my welcome email stated:

"VA-HIST encourages postings on matters related to all periods ofVirginia history, welcomes methodological and theoretical discussions,and applaudes comparative perspectives."

I think that what's being sought here is not a cersorship of ideas, but merely an oversight as to the quality that ideas are communicated.  If one is incapable of expressing and opinion in an intellegent and respectful manner, then one ought not join a group that "welcomes methodological and theoretical discussions."  I believe moderation to be essential in maintaining the integrity of dialogue.  This is, after all, the web.