From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:24:21 -0400
I have nothing to "get over."  My ancestors came here to become citizens
and volunteered to fight for American liberty the first chance they got.

It is the folks who cannot come to term with their own ancestors treason
and their own aggression that need to get over it.  It amazes me, almost
150 years later, that people still live in a fantasy world in which
those who started the war are the "victims" and those who reponded
defending the nation, are the "aggressors."

I would ask any of you who use the term "war of northern aggression" --
do you really wish the Confederacy had won?  Do you really want to be a
separate nation?  And are you really sorry slavery was destroyed, even
if it took a war to do it?  Do you wish you were not American citizens?
Do you cringe when you say the pledge of allegience?  Can you say those
words "one nation, under God, indivisible" or do you choke on the
"indivisible" part and the next words "with liberty and justice for
all."  Are you still unhappy that you lost your slaves and are forced to
be part of the United States.

Do you wish your "country garden" was in a differnt country?

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/09/07 11:08 PM >>>
Get over it, Paul.
DFM