From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:14:16 -0400
I have just completed a couple of things that folks who are gearing up for Jamestowne Celebrations may be interested in.  As is evident from my EMail address, I am living 100 years in the past and I am extracting everything muscically that I can from the 1907 Jamestown Exposition

#1 - A list of all music performed at the 1907 Expostition.  Ed Joiner at the Chrylser Museum of Art in Norfolk sent me all the programs that he could find in the records, and I have spent the last couple of weeks entering the information into a data base.  Nearly 1400 individual selections/performances are there.  1907 WAS a musical extravaganza!!!!  The result of my work is a 100-page tome with the same information sorted three ways.
    - By Performance (date and time) (35 pages)
    - By Name of the selection played or sung (25 pages)
    - By the Composer (25 pages)

    - Summary report by WHO performed it (2 pages)

I have also included in the tome a list of selections written FOR the Exposition, at least that I have been able to find, along with color covers of the piano arrangements.  The whole thing should be of interest to people who might want to build 2006 and 2007 programs around some of the music played.  The cost of copying the 100 pages + a couple of color pages + some part of the roundtrip from my log cabin on the ridge to Winchester to make the copies means that I'll have to charge $9 for the complete thing, including shipping.  However (as the GEICO ads say) "I do have some good news."  I can send you a listing by Performance which has all of the information in it, as an attachment to an EMail.  The report is in .rtf (Rich Text Format) which (theoretically at any rate) means that you can print it out on your own printer, and may even be able to take it into your text processing program.  It is less than 200Kb so should not choke even dial-up users.  No charge for the Email and attachment.

#2 - Thanks to several of you, I have been able to obtain a copy of the elusive OFFICIAL HYMN of the Exposition.  "Hymn" does not begin to describe this tour-de-force.  It is 17 pages of four-part voices, solos, duets, and an organ accompaniment which would do E. Power Biggs proud.  The music reminds me of Brahm's choral works, with anticipation by about 50 years of Randall Thompson's TESTAMENT OF FREEDOM.  The words look a bit stilted after 100 years, but that is what it was in 1907.  I scanned all the pages into the computer, removed the major ravages of time, and printed things out in 8 1/2 x 11, a bit larger than the original so it is easy to read.  If you are SERIOUSLY interested in looking at this with an eye for your church, school or civic chorus performing it, send me your snail mail address and I'll send you a complimentary copy.  If you would just like to collect it as one more Jamestown 2007 item, I'll still be glad to send you a copy, but I ask that you send me $3 to cover the cost of copying, mailing and traveling to Winchester and back (per the above.)

Randy Cabell - The Trumpeter of Jamestowne
1007 Calmes Neck Lane
Boyce, Virginia 22620