From:
EDWARD BOND <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:36:09 -0500
The use of "thirdly" may indicate that the minister was interrupted very early
in his sermon or towards the end.  Eighteenth-century Anglican sermons tended
to note the three main points very early, in ms usually as "I," I"I," "III."
The minister might say, for instance, "I propose to . . ." sand then follow
with one sentence summaries of each point.  Later in the sermon, when he
reached that point, the Roman numerals inidcating first, second, and third
generally show up again.

     James Blair, Robert Paxton, and James Maury all followed this practice.
So too did Archbishop John Tillotson, whose published discourses were the
source of many sermons published by Church of England ministers in Virginia.

Edward Bond
Assistant Professor of History
Alabama A&M University
history              <[log in to unmask]> =====