From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:01:19 -0400
I am putting together a brass band to welcome back elements of the 116th Infantry in Winchester, and would like to play (and sing) tunes that might have welcomed them back from the Civil War.  But I am having great trouble.   I can't find any Virginia songs that are policically correct these days, in spite of having box upon boxes of music.

"Carry me back to Old Virginia" was not written until 1878, and it has been dumped as the State Song

"Carry me back to Old Virginny's Shore" looks to have words worse than Stephen Foster's original to many of his songs (They were fine for the time, but I don't want to get riden out of town on a rail.)

"Dixie and Bonnie Blue Flag" would have probably gotten you a couple of years in the Federal Pokey.

I have several about the "Sunny South", but I fear that Beast Butler would have me arrested for them.

There are several about VIRGINIA, but are little known.

"Take Me Home" was published in Richmond during THE WAR, and may be the best I can do.  I think it survives today as a popular tune.

I would appreciate (1) any suggestions and (2) any sheet music from which I arrange for a small brass band.

Randy Cabell
Band of the 19th VA Hvy Arty