From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:02:02 -0700
Well said, Kevin, and a good explanation for true conservatism.  Frankly, I'm embarrassed and a bit confused by some who call themselves "conservatives" but seem to hunger for some reactionary practices of the past.

Excuse this somewhat  off-subject item, but the theme question in today's NY Times Crossword  is the description  by Winston Churchill for a fanatic.
Answer: "One who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

Why did I immediately think of Mr. South?

--Joanne

[log in to unmask] wrote: Such a sad attitude.

Solely on ideological lines, I find celebration of the end of slavery to be a very good thing.

Here is why:

Slavery is opposed to the free market.  Since I believe that capitalism is, on the whole, a good thing, I believe that that slavery is a morally bad and inefficient way to organize an economy.  Thus, the end of slavery is cause for celebration for anyone who believes in the free market.  Its an affirmation of capitalist economics.

Slavery is opposed to self-government.  If you believe in the capacity of individuals to make meaningful choices for themselves, then you also must believe that slavery is a terrible thing.  As a libertarian, I celebrate the end of slavery as a victory for freedom and for the classical liberal principles in which I believe.

Slavery is opposed to Protestant, and especially to Reformed, Christianity.  Martin Luther's principle of "Sola Scriptura" requires that Christians be able to read.  Slavery functioned most efficiently when the slaves could not read, and as a rule radically retarded the spread of literacy among the slave population.  Since I am a Protestant Christian, I see in the abolition of slavery a powerful victory for Christianity.

Slavery is opposed to the dignity and freedom of the individual subjected to it.  As someone who believes in human freedom, liberty, and God-given natural rights, I find slavery repugnant to the core principles of American government.  As an American, then, I think it is right and appropriate to celebrate emancipation, and the abolition of slavery.

Now I find it strange, indeed bizarre, that anyone who seems to identify with the ideology of Ronald Reagan, or of the Republican party, would condemn memorialization of emancipation as "Politically Correct."

If what it means to be "Politically Correct" is to be in favor of capitalism, free markets, self-government, small government, rugged individualism, Reformed Christianity, natural rights, self-determination, ordered liberty, and the United States Constitution, then by all means count me in.  If *that* is what it means to be politically correct, then I am all for political correctness.

As to what Mr. South is for--its hard to say.  He seems to reject the things I think are most valuable about the American way of life.  Since the things I identify above are generally considered to be conservative values, I have to conclude that Mr. South is a liberal.

All best,
Kevin