From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:51:41 -0400
I'll not repeat the good advice from others about editing . . . but in
light of the comment that the diarist "made rare derogatory remarks about
companions and superiors and she has been advised against including full
text of those remarks," I do want to emphasize the critical importance of
including everything and not Bowdlerizing the text.
 Nothing will destroy more quickly the reader's or researcher's confidence
in the integrity of the transcription than a suspicion of censorship -
and with good reason, because nothing (except perhaps incompetent
transcribing) destroys the integrity of the transcription itself more
quickly than a latter-day censor altering the evidence.
  In short, what is the point of transcribing dear old
great-grand-mom/dad's thoughts dishonestly? She/he deserves more respect
than that, and adult family members (not to mention scholars) want to
come as close as they can to the real flesh and blood person and her/his
genuine opinions.

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463