From:
Holly Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:33:51 EDT

Suzanne, many thanks for sharing this one--my favorite being the last line
of the piece snipped below!

In a message dated 3/30/2011 11:28:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-civil-war-20110327,
0,7924185.story

<<Susan Gabbay, 80, a retired librarian, brought an account book from  the
farm where she grew up near Petersburg. During the Union siege of the city
in 1864, federal troops exploded a mine to open a gap in the rebel defenses
but  then rushed into the crater, where many were slaughtered.

"Before the  battle, the Union general came and told my great-grandmother
to leave because it  was too dangerous," she said. "When I was little, I
thought that's why  they called it the Civil War — because he was so  polite.">>

Holly Mills
Amherst, VA