Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:42:17 EST
Roger, thanks.   Rhys Isaac apparently would extend that on  into at least
the 1770s, when there was an instance of a preacher  being horsewhipped by a
"gentleman" sheriff, which presumably led to  revulsion on the part of
many.  He states,  "The  confrontation between evangelicalism and the
traditional order in Virginia had  begun with the Hanover Awakening in the 1740s, but
it entered into its fiercest  and most bitter phase as he New Light Separate
Baptists moved into the  longer-settled parts of Virginia in the years
after 1765." (162)
    Virginia passed Jefferson's "Bill for Establishing  Religious Freedom"
in 1784, which had been introduced in 1779.  Perhaps all  that indicates a
lessening of the persecution during the 1780's, but I haven't  read enough
recently to have a feel for it.

--Warren

In a message dated 11/9/2010 10:26:20 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,