From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 16:31:59 -0400
Yes, Mary Kay and I spent 11 hours there yesterday, Saturday... counting the
time from getting on the Yellow Lot bus to the time we got back off of it.

Holly is correct that there is just too much to see.  We concentrated on the
a couple of trips down to the ships -- one to see them arrive -- very
impressive with the honor guard, and with the firing of cannon.  Everything
but The Trumpeter of Jamestowne, but they can be forgiven since there was so
much to address.  We also walked through some of the gallaries, but the
lines for the buses looked too long to go over to Real Jamestowne so we did
not try.

We were most fortunate in that we had been invited to partake of a couple of
hospitality suites.  Both had food, air contiditioning and one had
bathrooms-to-die for.  For me, the suites were welcome respites to get off
my 74 years-old-feet and at least rest even if I could not nod-off in a
corner.

Holly confirms what we suspected about the problems of getting food.  The
Cafeteria was a zoo, and I had trouble finding the places in the Anniversary
Park, and the script policy looked to me to be an unnecessary plague to
visit upon visitors.  But Mary Kay found a shirt-place right at the entrance
to the park who took plastic!!!!!  That tent epitomized what my old boss at
IBM used to say, "The only way to survive in a bureacracy is to 'corrupt the
system.'"

We visited the gallaries only briefly, spending most time listening to the
half dozen Virginia high-school and community bands perform.  That was most
enjoyable, and I manged to (1) get into a photo with Der Alte Kammeraden
German Band, and (2) interviewd by the BBC, I think because I had on a shirt
with a cross-of-St.-George emblazoned below the Trumpeter of You Know What.

I did not like the loud sub-bass thumping which shook the ground all
afternoon from the rock bands (contemporary music groups?) performing at the
stage a quarter of a mile away from the civilized music.  If you have ever
been waiting at a traffic light and had a car pull up and shake you with the
bass woofer which must be operating at 120 db, you know what I mean -- only
worse.

I had nice chats at lunch with the Director Development of The
Jamestowne-Yorktown Foundation, and with a high-placed member of the Board
thereof.  And contrary to what most of you probably think of me as a loose
cannon, it was all very amicable.  I told them the weekend was being handled
very well.......

There were plenty of buses, and they did not keep you waiting until they
filled before pulling out.  I have not seen reports of Saturday, or of
course of Sunday, but it looks like Friday had about 15,000 people -- about
50% of the target.  My impression as we left the parking lot was that
Saturday probably did equally as well, maybe a little bit better.

Upon checking into the motel Saturday evening about 7:30PM (we tried to
check in that morning, but they would not let us) we found (1) they had lost
our reservations, (2) the motels in Williamsburg had no vacancies for
Saturday or Sunday nights.  I think I saw that Mother's Day was as much a
contributor as Jamestowne.  Again, keeping my cool, producing the
documention right off the Internet with THEIR confirmation number that I had
a reservation (shades of that Seinfeld episode where he had a car rental
reservation, but they had no cars) and the Grace of God that the motel did
happen to have a vacant room, we were able to find a place to rest our
heads.

I managed to pick up 600 Jamestown stamps, so my Christams Cards and all
mail for years to come will be emblazoned with them.  I did not want a
repeat of the Lews/Clark stamps which ran out early in the game.

The book is now almost closed on the weekend, so I hope somebody out there
has started on his/her dissertation of how it all turned out -- and what
could have been done better.  The Hampton (or Newport News) paper on Friday
had a very good article about how the hopes for a bunch of high-roller
companies to contribute a couple of million dollars each fell considerably
short.

Randy Cabell