From:
David Konig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:22:13 -0500
Mick is certainly right: this is indeed an interesting case.  I would
only add, "_very_ interesting" and "_very_ fine article."  Kettner was
unraveling a legal case that all law professors teaching about slavery
(or Trusts and Estates) should know and use, as it shows a  classic
confrontation of legal doctrines, brought into conflict by conflicting
policy goals, and the way that slavery created expedient new
categories.  He shows how the court struggled to identify what it called
"a new species of property, subject to rules unknown to the law."   To
do so, the court had to grapple with questions of who the remaindermen
were and how (or if) the the dreaded Rule Against Perpetuities applied.
Kettner, a scholar of deep insight and broad erudition, had the courage
and ability to engage these matters in a way that few of us would attempt.

David Thomas Konig
Professor of History and Law
Washington University in St. Louis
Campus Box 1120