From:
Douglas Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:06:01 -0400
The American Folklife Center's Veterans Oral History Project has really
only just begun, the result of an un-funded mom-and-apple-pie mandate
from the Hill (is there any other kind?).  However, I think it's a great
opportunity for those of us at the local level to enlist in a project we
should be doing anyway, with the not-to-be-underestimated benefit of
some PR mileage, and, one hopes, a chance to energize existing members
and volunteers, and to enlist new and younger ones.

While the project is aimed at gathering histories of veterans of foreign
wars (and I hear that WWI vets are currently being identified and
interviewed) I would like to expand the scope locally to include
families of soldiers, support personnel, war resisters, widows and
orphans, etc.

Though there's no direct funding, I understand that there may be some
funds available to hire folklorists and oral historians to give
workshops on community history-gathering.  My contact at the AFC is
currently on vacation, but I'll keep the list posted when I've gotten
the straight dope.

D.

Douglas Day, M.A., Ph.D.
Executive Director