From:
Emily Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 01:36:47 +0000
Jeremy, excellent comments.

>The quote in the Post from John
>Rolfe says that they were purchased by the Governor and Cape Marchant "at
>the best and easiest rate they could." I'll have to go find this
>source during my next break (has this source been put online
>somewhere?),

John Rolfe to Sir Edwin Sandys, January 1620 (new style), widely reproduced
in print.
Autograph original is in the Ferrar Papers, Magdalen College, Cambridge.
You can read it online in the version edited by Susan Kingsbury in the
*Records of the Virginia Company*,  published by the US Govt Printing
Office.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/jefferson_papers/vc03.html

>>>there was a ready market..., after 1620 in the English colonies.

Is there any evidence for a slave market in Jacobean Virginia (i.e.
1620-25)?

Emily Rose
New Hall, Cambridge