From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:10:19 -0400
Terry,

Thank you for the sources and discussion about the phrase, "Am I Not a Man
and a Brother?" and also the reference to your N&Q article from last year.

I'm the author of “Doing Well by Doing Good:  The Decision to Manufacture
Products that Supported the Abolition of the Slave Trade & Slavery in Great
Britain” in *Slavery and Abolition*, Vol. 29, No. 2 (June 2008), 219-231,
and in *Public Art, Memorials and Atlantic Slavery*, ed. Celeste-Marie
Bernier and Judie Newman (London:  Routledge, 2009), 82-94, and I continue
to be very interested in how this one phrase and one image became the
iconographic slogan and symbol of the anti-slavery/abolition movement.

Unfortunately, your N&Q article is behind the paywall, and I don't have
easy access to it. Would it be possible to get a copy of it from you
directly?

Many thanks!

Martha Katz-Hyman
Independent Curator