From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:44:46 -0400
About 5 October 1765, when the justices of Stafford County sent their
resignation to Gov. Fauquier in protest against the Stamp Act, their letter
(generally attributed to John Mercer of Marlborough) described the seal of
Stafford Co. as follows:

*Our County Seal is his late majesty sitting on his throne, with justice and
mercy supporting his crown over his head and this invaluable Chapter of
Magna Charta (which Ld. Coke says in his comment on the Statute ought to be
engraved in letters of Gold in every court of Justice) for his Motto: We
will deny or delay no one justice or right, which we are firmly persuaded is
utterly inconsistent with the Stamp Act.*

In his note to this document in the *Fauquier Papers* (1983), George Reese
wrote that “No impression or representation of the seal of Stafford County
has been found” – and George’s scholarship on such matters was always
thorough and solid.
Is anyone aware of any image of the colonial-era seal of Stafford County
that may have turned up since 1983 ?

Jon Kukla