From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:00:05 -0400
> Every year there is a several day event called the James River Batteau
> Festival, which starts at Lynchburg on June 15 and ends June 23
> at Maiden's
> Adventure which appears on the maps at their website to be in Powhatan Co,
> just to the east of the point where Route 522 crosses the James
> (and within
> about 2 to 4 miles of where my Baugh ancestors lived there).

For further clarificartion, in case anyone would like to attend, the
festival
does indeed begin in Lynchburg on JUNE 16TH (the batteaux depart
from Percival's Island in Lynchburg on Saturday the 16th at 10am). There
are festivities in Lynchburg on Friday the 15th, from 7pm-11pm.

The festival ends on Saturday June 23rd at Maiden's Landing (or Maiden's
Adventure), which is at the DGIF Boat Ramp just WEST of where US 522
crosses the James in Powhatan County.

The evening stops in between Lynchburg and Maidens, which are open
to the public, are:

Saturday June 16th (evening) Christian Mill Creek
Sunday June 17th James River State Park
Monday June 18th Wingina
Tuesday June 19th Howardsville
Wednesday June 20th Scottsville
Thursday June 21st Slate River
Friday June 22nd Cartersville

As Janet noted, more information can be found at:
www.batteau.org

Scott Smith
James River Batteau Festival Committee
Virginia Canals & Navigation Society