From:
Loretta Kelldorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 22:24:18 -0500
1. Get his military file from NARA.
2. He should be listed with his parents in the 1850 census so start there.
The children will appear in most indexes (for that year) which will get you
to the entry for the family.  Notice who were the neighbors as those people
may prove to be relatives when you do get more information. Each census had
different criteria so you will find it helpful to read the criteria which is
often in the front of the census whether it be on film or in a hardbound
book.   The 1850 census is the first one that listed all of the members of
the household.  The 1890 census is missing.  The 1930 census is the last
census which has been published for public use.
3. Once you find out who his parents were, check land records and  tax
records, business records in the court house, local histories of the area in
which they lived, marriage records. Often marriage records will be available
long before birth and death records. If you are able to determine what
church denomination they attended, look for church records. Often records of
births, deaths and marriages will be in church records when they were not
yet required for state vital records.
4. Don't overlook checking the criminal records, JP courts on up.  It is
amazing who appears in them!  Civil court suits involving the family can
often provide a terrific context of your family's life.

Good Luck
Loretta